April 14, 2005

Marathon Baby

So after four months of training, several minor injuries, some physiotherapy and plenty of running, the 2005 (25th Aniversary) Flora London Marathon has finally arrived. I am looking forward to the big day knowing what a buzz it is to even take part in such a massive event, although I am of course aprehensive, knowing the fact that it is a long, long way to run.

In some ways I feel my training has not been as thorough as for previous marathons, and although I am confident that I will get round the course, I am not in any way sure of beating my previous (2001) London Marathon time of 3 hours and 57 minutes.

I have jokingly said to many people since the day after running my first marathon that "I will run a marathon in fancy dress one day", and after my second marathon that "I will run my third marathon in fancy dress". I don't believe that many people took me seriously but I did mean it and since I've managed to raise around 1,500 for Cystic Fibrosis I feel slightly justified in making a mockery of myself and, let's face it, making the whole event that much more challenging!

To make it easier for those trying to pick me out from amoungst the thousands of other runners on the day, and for those not coming along to generally appreciate what a fool I look, here is a cheeky photo of me test driving the marathon baby suit and checking for possible chafing hazards!

Marathon Baby

Wish me luck!

Posted by Andy at 08:39 PM into Running

Comments

And if you get to hot... do we get to see you in just the somewhat gay tank top?

Posted by Claudia at 2005-04-14 21:19:29

Oi!

Posted by Andy at 2005-04-14 21:41:45

What a dummy!

Posted by Steve at 2005-04-14 22:24:42

Best of luck Andy Pandy. I'm sure I'm not the only one to think you're really brave (and crazy) and doing a great thing for CF. Remember, don't have too many sugary drinks in the 1st half...!

Posted by chu? at 2005-04-15 09:12:37

Nice crop top... I hear Julian Clary, Michael Barrymore, Graham Norton and George Michael are all running the marathon this year, and I hear they're all predicted to do it in a time very close to yours... perhaps just a few milliseconds behind? Thought I'd best warn you...

Posted by Gav at 2005-04-15 10:24:11

i agree those shoes are awful

Posted by paul at 2005-04-15 14:08:17

I'll be impressed if you still have the dummy at the end!

Posted by MiniF1 at 2005-04-15 15:19:35

Thank you all for your kind comments!

I managed to complete the whole distance in 3:57:44 - a shade off my best time of 3:54:56 - without sacrificing the hat or the dummy!

I still had the dummy at the end despite dropping it at mile 20, and it even had the unexpected quality of making a loud squeaking sound when squeezed. A lovely discovery 6 miles into the run.

Thanks to all my supporters that turned out on the day, it makes a huge difference having people shout for you.

Posted by Andy at 2005-04-20 15:06:49

That's possibly the greatest picture I've ever seen. Andy, you are the man. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise you big baby!

Posted by paul at 2005-06-22 04:39:46

Remember personal info?

Although you must enter an email address, rest assured it will never appear on my site, and I promise not to give or sell it to anyone. Not even for lots of money.

If you ask a question I'll do my best to reply to you, either privately by email or by posting a comment. Don't spam me or else I'll get upset. I'll also remove your comment, ban your IP and do whatever else I can to stop you making me upset again.

home | search